Saturday, September 5, 2009

Honeymooning

I'm embarking on my honeymoon. This doesn't mean that I've accepted one of my many many marriage proposals (typical answer is "I would make a terrible wife; I won't prepare TZ and I don't clean). What I'm referring to is my honeymood with Ghana.

A month in to my visit is a bit delayed, but in reflection on the last month I think I was going through a little more culture shock than I admitted to myself. But now that I'm feeling much more comfortable with my town and my settings, I'm seeing things through rose colored glasses. There are definitely days where I get frustrated or feel overwhelmed with complex situations that I know I'll never even be able to understand - let alone change, but by and large things are looking pretty good.

This Friday, I was invited to a meeting in Tamale - the city which is the capital of the Northern Region (here, a region is similar to a province). We originally came into Tamale when we first arrived in Ghana and I didn't exactly love it - it seemed busy and dirty and had very basic ammenities for a bigger city. But now that I've spent time other places, Tamale seems absolutely luxurious and I can't get over the amount of things that are available to buy. Today I spent more money in one day than I have since I left Canada (about $75). It was some great retail therapy and I'm feeling awesome!

Bring on the honeymoon - I know it won't last forever so I'm going to embrace it!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! It's neat to hear what you've been up to. Keep the entries coming. I will check for updates often. Enjoy your time in Ghana!

    ReplyDelete